Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Night We Share....Passover

About ten years ago our family began observing and participating in the Lenten season.  We had an idea of what it was, a time of repentance and reflection, but we were no where close to understanding the full scope of this season.

Growing up, neither my husband nor I had been taught to observe Lent or even knew what it really was.  After marrying and making a commitment to keep our family focus on Christ, we came across Lent. 

We tried to research it and really understand what it was, but though the concept is simple, the traditions are many.  So we started with the basics...we prayed about and each gave up something for the Lenten season.  We knew that we were doing this in order to focus on and allow the Lord to show us strongholds the enemy or flesh might have in our lives, but that was it. 

It began as a season of prayer and reflection, but every year, we have learned something new about this time.  Eventually we learned about and participated in Ash Wednesday, Palm Sunday, Good Friday and recently Maundy Thursday. 

 
Today is Maundy Thursday or Commandment Thursday, which is a time to remember the commandment that Jesus gave the disciples during the Last Supper.  It is also a time that we observe Passover.

Passover... the Last Supper....What is the significance for me personally?

It was the last time that Jesus was able to share his time and activity with those he loved on earth, before the crucifiction. 

After Passover, He moved from sharing to sacrificing....where we fall short. 

Even something that sounds as simple as sharing in His time of prayer at the Garden of Gethsemane, we fall short.

But Passover....Passover is a time that I can share with Him. 

I will be the first to tell you that I don't know all of the traditions nor do I understand all of the history behind them,

...but I do understand this one thing about Passover and the Last Supper....I am not capable to walk with Him past this point. 

Thank God I was not expected to. 

But to sit with Him and spend time remembering and thanking Him for what He has done, not just in my life, but throughout history, I can do that!

Tomorrow begins a time of mourning. 

Mourning what had to be in order to save my soul. 

Mourning for what my Savior had to do in order to free my soul.

But tonight.  Tonight we share.

No comments:

Post a Comment