Thursday, March 7, 2013

Adjusting to Life on the Farm

I told you guys yesterday that I am having a bit of trouble adjusting to our move, but I am not the only one.  DD #2 is struggling to find her place here as well.

Of course, we kinda suspected that would be the case!  She does not like animals, dirt, or anything that has touched either. So..... we knew there might be some trouble there as there is nothing here that has not touched either an animal or dirt!!  That being said, she is a trooper and works each day to find the blessings.

Our other three daughters as well as Farmer Willie appear to have been born for this life!!  DD #1 has worked really hard to get a garden plot ready for planting. 


And DD's #3 and #4 spend every available minute outside.  They have loved the cats, snakes, dead mice, dirt, trees, etc!!


I had a friend come by yesterday and she had read my blog.  She suggested that part of the problem might be because I don't know the area well enough yet.  I think she might be right!!  So next week, she is taking me on an exploration trip!!  I am really looking forward to that :)

In the two months that we have lived here, we have all been forced to learn some life leasons, many of them revolving around animals.

First, about a month ago, we were out of town on a college exploration trip for DD #1 and some of our neighbors were watching our chickens.  A dog got into one of the coops and killed all four of our youngest chickens.  We were devestated, while at the same time trying to remind ourselves that we knew, sooner or later, we would lose some. 



After the dog attack, our sweet rooster became really depressed.  He stopped crowing immediately after the attack and we seemed to lose more of him each day.  Finally, in the last two weeks he started losing his balance and it became difficult for him to walk. 


In our research, we figured that he had a stroke, so we took care of him, and prayed for him.  DD #3 would catch bugs for him to "hunt" for and she exercised his legs for him each day.  We carried him in and out of the coop, making sure he was protected and had food and water.  DD #3 would even clean him each day as he could not get around well for going potty.

In the last couple of days, he seemed to be improving!  He walked more and we saw him really fight to stand for several minutes.  He even tried to give himself a dirt bath!!  But unfortunately, yesterday, when DD #3 went to let the chickens out of the coop, she found that he had died during the night.

One of the biggest lessons we have learned on the farm is seeing the hand of God in everything.  It is easy to see His hand in the beautiful sunrise and sunset, the running water in the creek and in the beautiful song of the birds. 


But when things happen that seem to be contrary to all that is good, it is more difficult.

We just happen to be reading through Job right now, which just increases the question of...why? 

I can't answer that question, but I have asked it plenty of times.  I do know that I have learned that during the "why" times, I can cling to the fact that:

My soul, wait in silence for God only, For my hope is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation, My stronghold; I shall not be shaken. On God my salvation and my glory rest; The rock of my strength, my refuge is in God. Trust in Him at all times, O people; Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us. Selah.  Psalm 62:5-8

No comments:

Post a Comment