Tuesday, April 2, 2013

To Goat...Or Not To Goat...That Is The Question!!

Who'da ever thunk it??!!!  Goats ROCK!!



Oh yes my city friends, you heard me correctly, they totally rock!

I'm not talking about the fact that they will try and eat a rock!  I am talking about the yummy milk they produce, the awesome cheese you can make with that milk, the kids they produce that you can sell and the incredible lessons that you and your family can learn by having them around!!  Yes, I have fallen for the goat.

So now the question arises...to goat or not to goat? 

Yesterday I was blessed by a new friend by being able to spend time meeting two goats we are considering purchasing.  She showed me how to milk them and told me how to care for them.

Now, I will admit that she milked a full goat in the time it took me to get a couple of squirts out, but she assured me that I should get better with practice :)

She also let me try some of the milk.  And all I can say is YUMMY!!!  Frankly I was dreading this part.  I figured it would taste gross, but I was planning on becoming accustomed to it over time.  But...now I am standing in my new friends kitchen with a glass of goat milk!!  After saying a quick prayer that I would not puke it out on her beautiful kitchen floor, I took a sip.  Oh my goodness, it was good!!  I could not taste any difference between that and the milk I buy at the store.  It was just plain good.  She told me that the cheese is even better!

Then it got even better!  I got to go outside to meet the goats and learn how to milk them!

My dear city slicker friends, let me tell you, it is harder than it looks!!  She made it look sooo easy, but when I grabbed that teat, nothing came out!!  There is definitely an art to milking!

Wanna know the neatest thing I learned about raising and milking goats?  It is an incredible opportunity for the family!  My friend and her daughter worked side by side milking, while her sons took turns keeping the chickens away, and boy did they have fun doing it!  What a fun time!

I went, met and fell head over heels for goats, so that leads us back to the original question...to goat or not to goat?

There is one big obstacle for us though...travel.  We do a lot of traveling as a family and once you commit to goats, that becomes difficult. 

So we are praying.  The good thing about having a question is that I know the Lord has an answer!!  Personally, I am hoping that the answer is yes, but I know that His plan is wayyyy better than mine!

So stay turned to find out the answer to.....To Goat, Or Not To Goat!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment