Monday, April 8, 2013

Living the Simple Life Begins With Contentment

Simple Living....heard that before?  Yup, me too!  In fact, I have used the phrase a couple of times.  Okay, maybe many times!! 

In fact, it was one of our goals with moving out here, to lead simpler lives.

But what does it really mean?

Simple Living.  Living Simply.  Simplifying Life.  There are many ways to phrase it, but am I called to live a simple life?   How do I live it out?  How do I apply it?

Over the next several days, I am going investigate those questions and see how it applies to my life.  I hope that by writing it out, you might be able to find a word, phrase or passage that helps you too!!


Today, I am looking at the question...Am I called to live a simple life? 

My belief is yes.

  •  Hebrews 13:5 states  "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”
  • 1 Thessalonians 4:10-12 says "And in fact, you do love all of God’s family throughout Macedonia. Yet we urge you, brothers and sisters, to do so more and more,  and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody."

See how in Hebrews 13:5 it says to be content with what you have?  We all have different amounts. 

Different amounts of money.
Different amounts of resources. 
Different cultures. 
Different societal responsibilities. 
Different size families. 
Different size houses. 

We are not to be content with having enough, we are to be content with what we have

Simple Living begins with my mindset and then extends into my choices and actions.  And it begins with being content with what I have.  Whether I have more money than I know what to do with or I don't know how I will pay the bills next month (ummmm, the last one happens wayyyy  more often for me!!)!


Sometimes it isn't easy to tell when we are not content.  It can show up in many ways and in the form of many actions.  Sometimes, we don't really even recognize it. 

For me, it can show up in the form of rearranging furniture!  In our early years of marriage, Farmer Willie used to joke with me that every day when he came home I should be at the door with a map so he could find his way around the house!  Oh yes, I honestly rearranged that much!!

Another thing that I tend to do when I am discontent is to organize and create systems.  Now, there is NOTHING wrong with organizing and creating systems!!  But, when you make completely new systems every month and spend half the month getting everything ready to start your new system....ummmm....you got some issues there!!  :) 

What do you do if you just don't feel content? 

  • Well, what has worked for me is first and foremost....pray! 

  • Then, I try and take notice of what I DO have and give thanks for it.

  • Serve others!!  Helping and serving others is a great way to slow down and look at lives other than my own.  Many times seeing that I have the ability to help and impact others increases my thankfulness and contentment.
I am called to live a simple life and the first step in doing this is to be content with what I have!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment