Thursday, January 10, 2013

Bloody Mess!!!

Okay, I know that I told you I would write about the chicken coop today, but we are still lacking a bit of interior work and I just HAVE to tell you about last night!!

We had gotten a lot of rain over the past couple of days.  It has rained and rained and RAINED!!!  I know that we need it, but it has frustrated me because I want to be outside sooooo bad!!

Anyways, last night we went out to get in the car and go pick the older girls up from church and guess what we saw????  Red stuff everywhere!!!


At first we thought it was a SERIOUS oil leak from one of the cars.  We checked the oil, drove the cars a bit and they were fine.  Then the detective work began!  DD#2 was the first to point out that it could not be oil because it was not separated from the water (being that water and oil don't mix!!).  Duhhhh....I don't know why I did not think of that one!

Then (now you must picture all six of us outside with flashlights looking all over for the source of the "red!!"  We were a sight!) we looked around the general vicinity and found more red puddles!!  These were on the other side of the house, so that ruled out anything leaking from the cars.



Now we began to wonder....just what is under the house!  Could it be a body??  Oh yes, we had a serious mystery!!

DD#1 was the first to introduce the idea that maybe the ground had a really high iron content and the excessive rain brought it to the surface.  I dismissed her idea as I was still thinking there was a buried body somewhere and we were all in mortal danger!!

Well, after taking samples which we planned on having tested (because we just knew there was either a crime committed, or we were getting acid rain!!), Farmer Willie had the brilliant idea to call the previous owners and ask them about it!!



Lo and behold, they had the answer for us!!  Several years ago they had dairy dirt brought in and dumped to make the front "yard" area.  Dairy dirt is apparently very high in iron and can cause a rain runoff to take on a reddish tint.  Mystery solved!!

After the drama of the bloody mess, we came inside and saw a news article about someone living under the house of this lady!  That did NOTHING to help my overactive imagination!!!!!  :)  One of these days I will get up the nerve to go under there and check it out!!  Now though, I am content to know that the cat lives under the house and is watching things for me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment