Friday, January 31, 2014

Wood Pallets: A Farm Girls Best Friend

Rewind 10 months and you arrive at the time that I meet my new best friend......the wooden pallet.......

We have two goats coming and along with putting up a fence, we need a goat shed.  Fences are not cheap, goats are not cheap, nothing is cheap so we are out of money, almost out of time, and nearing panic state!

I take a look at pinterest to try and find any ideas for an inexpensive way to build our goat shed and I notice one that is made of wooden pallets.  You know, those wood slat thingies that businesses take shipments on?   There I have it!!  My solution!!

We head to various businesses and I discover that finding someone to give you wooden pallets is not quite as easy as the online articles I found led me to believe.  After a little driving around and phone calling we were able to obtain around 15.

Within one day my daughters and I were able to create this!!!



On the inside you can really see the pallets.  We bought the metal for the roof and added some other scrap pieces of wood, but this thing went up in one day and works perfectly!!

After that I was smitten!  So...what else can I make around here with pallets?

The previous owners left this table outside when they moved.  Though it is a cute table, it did not really go with our ideas of what we want the house to look like so we were going to get rid of it.

But NO!!  Pallets save the day!!!



Farmer Willie removed the top of the table frame....




Then we pulled off some of the wood on one of our trusty pallets, attached them to the table top and BAM!!!!



Beautiful table!!


Then we needed a bridge across the stream that runs through our property.  My daughter decided to build one for us using....you guessed it....PALLETS!!!

It works perfect and how much did it cost us????  Zilch!!  :)


Another view so you can see how she used a pallet base as the base of the bridge.




Now moving on to animal uses....yes, there are more!!

Farmer Willie built a double stanchion for our dairy goats out of pallets!!  Pretty awesome isn't it??




And finally, when you thought that there could be no more...a dog house!!!  See the pallet base there? Our farm dog, Tank, loves pallets too!!



We are in the middle of working on a sign to hang at the front of the property identifying us as Bumpkin Farm...wanna know what we are using for the actual sign portion?  Pallets!!!

Now, these wooden pallets will never laugh at my jokes or listen to my whining like my friends will, but try making a bridge using a 5 foot brown-head for the base!! 

If you have enjoyed reading this blog, you might enjoy some of the other ones participating in Homestead Barn Hop #145!!

barnhopimage


Look for other DIY projects at DIY Accomplished!

I was featured at Homemaker's Challenge DIY Accomplished Link Up!


No comments:

Post a Comment