Friday, December 13, 2013

Cinnamon Ornaments

In our chat yesterday about Bumpkin Farm's Christmas tree traditions, I told you that I would give you more info today on how to make cinnamon ornaments.  Being that I am a farm-ess of my word, here ya go!!! 


First you start with 3 cups of cinnamon and 3 cups of applesauce.  I was able to get my cinnamon at Dollar Tree!!  Whew!!  That could have been expensive!


Then you mix it up! 



I started with a spoon and eventually went to using my hands because the dough became to thick. 


Oh, you should also know that the batch in the pictures is a double batch so you won't have as much dough.

Then you grab some cute helpers and some cookie cutters!!


Sprinkle a little cinnamon on the surface you plan on using just like you do when you make biscuits. 


Then you plop the dough down and start rolling it with either a rolling pin or your hands!  I prefer the rolling pin, but....there is a girly that lives in my house (otherwise known as my daughter) and she likes to use her hands!


You flatten it out at whatever thickness you want your ornaments to be, but remember, the thicker the ornament the longer it takes to dry.  Then you get cutting!! 

Be sure that you keep some extra cinnamon around to use when things get sticky!!



Then beautiful cinnamon ornaments begin to appear in your kitchen!!




After cutting them out, make sure you use a toothpick and make a little hole at the top for the string, ribbon or hanger!  We forgot this one year....Oops!



Stick them on a cookie sheet once they are cut for about an hour to allow them to harden up just a bit.

 
 
 

You will notice that about this time your house starts to smell REALLY yummy!!  Our dogs started to think there might be something good for them in the kitchen.  They are not allowed into the kitchen so they were both sitting at the entrance just hoping someone would share!


Tank really, REALLY wanted to help!!  He thought they smelled REALLY good!!!!



So after an hour on the cookie sheet, move them to drying racks where they dry for a few days.  It was funny because I had these racks in the corner of my kitchen during Thanksgiving and because of the yummy smell, everyone tried to grab the cinnamon "cookies" during our celebration!  They taste GROSS...trust me ;)


After they are dry you string your hanger of choice in the hole.  We use twine, but ribbon is really pretty too!! 

Then you can either paint them or leave them the way they are.  We usually do a little of both!


I think they look lovely on the tree and they make the house smell yummy all season!  And, when you go to open your Christmas boxes next year the smell of cinnamon instantly gets you in the Christmas mood!!




This is a really simple project to do, yet yields a great return!!  Super fun, beautiful in a simple way, and a fun tradition to have.

Blessings my blogger friends!!


No comments:

Post a Comment