Monday, June 3, 2013

I M.E.T. Him on Monday - Me??!! Director of a Home School Co-p

About 5 1/2 years ago, we were members of a fantastic home school co-op of around 80 families.  The director had done a great job for many years but had decided that it was time for her to move on to other things, so the search for a new director began.

I happen to have just been asked to serve on the board, so I began to pray, along with everyone else, that God would provide the right person for the job.  As I started to pray, I started to feel a slight nudging and hear whispers saying that I should volunteer.

Well....let me give you a little background info....I am NOT a leader!!  Never have been and never will be.  I am a great follower and worker, but definitely not leader material.  I am completely unable to see the "big picture" and heck, I can barely keep myself on task when I just have one thing to do!

Then add to this the fact that the year before, the Lord had been teaching me that the world does not revolve around me :)  I know, it was a shocker for me too!!  I had come to realize that I am selfish and prideful and was about at the bottom of the pit regarding this lesson.

And finally....there was no way in the world that I would volunteer myself!  I mean, how pompous would I look to imply that I could actually do the job!!  Nope!  No way!!

Time passes...tick-tock, tick-tock....and the whisper gets louder and the nudging turns into pushing!  I realize very clearly that the Lord wants me to volunteer.  So I am driving in my car taking a meal to a family with a new baby and I am praying.  I get a bit angry at the Lord for asking me to do this and I verbally said...."God, why would you ask me to do this when You spent the last year showing me how inadequate I am?"  and God said clear as a bell to me...."Because now you will know that it is Me doing it, not you." 



Well, I started bawling in the car!!!  I mean the total ugly cry!!  I dropped off the meal and went home and called the appropriate people and volunteered for the job.

All of this to say that a few months later I was serving as director of an 80 family home school co-op!!  And boy was the Lord right when He said I would know it was Him, because it was all Him!!

I did not have an easy time from the get go.  I don't deal with conflict well and I despise confrontation!!  But He got me through it. 

I served for 2 1/2 years and I can tell you that it was one of the most tumultuous times of my life.  It seems like during my term everything that could go wrong did!  But the Lord was swift to provide joy and peace, a great support system, and a tangible presence in it all. 

Looking back, I have to say that I am sooo glad that learning experience is over, but I also must say that I would not trade it or change it.  During that 2 1/2 years the Lord changed me and changed my heart.  It was a whole lot of lessons in a little bit of time!  Plus, I met some fantastic people!!

Just another example to teach me that though His ways don't always match up with my ways, His will always be the best way!!  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment